Meatless Monday with Chickpea Patties in Pitas with Coriander Yogurt and Cucumber Mustard SaladCSR Business, CSR Canada, Green, Meatless Monday, News | Elyse | July 9, 2012 at 12:01 am
Hello and welcome (back) to the Miratel blog and thank you for joining us for another Meatless Monday vegetarian recipe share. The Meatless Monday pledge aims to reduce meat consumption 15% by eliminating it just one day per week to preserve personal and planetary health. Miratel supports this great initiative and includes it as part of its CSR business strategies to spread awareness of the impact of food choices on our environment.
Tonight for dinner we are making a flavourful twist on a veggie burger, with chickpea patties in pitas with coriander yogurt. We’ll be serving this delicious burger with a cucumber mustard salad. Both of these appetizing vegetarian dishes come by way of CBC’s Best Recipes Ever.
Chickpea Patties in Pitas with Coriander Yogurt Ingredients:
- 2 cans (19 oz/540 mL each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 large whole wheat pita breads
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded carrots
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped coriander or mint
- Coriander Yogurt: In small bowl, mix yogurt with coriander; set aside.
Chickpea Patties in Pitas:
- In food processor, pulse together chickpeas, eggs, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper until smooth; transfer to bowl. Add bread crumbs, green onions, garlic and 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the Coriander Yogurt; stir to combine. Using wet hands, shape into six 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick patties. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate patties and yogurt for up to 24 hours.)
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry patties, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Cut each pita in half; stuff each pocket with patty. Spread Coriander Yogurt on patties; top with carrots and cucumber.
Cucumber Mustard Salad Ingredients:
- 2 English cucumbers (about 2 lb/1 kg)
- 1/4 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced red onion
- 4 tsp (20 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- Pinch each pepper and granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) parsley leaves
- Halve English cucumbers lengthwise and scoop out centre; cut into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices. In bowl, sprinkle cucumbers with salt ; let stand for 20 minutes.
- Stir in onion, vinegar, mustard, pepper and sugar; toss to combine. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Sprinkle with parsley; toss to serve.
The chickpea patties in pitas with coriander yogurt will yield six servings. In order to make this dish even healthier and add fibre, switch to 100% whole wheat or whole grain pitas. The cucumber mustard salad will yield six to eight portions. This is a light and easy salad that will also be a welcome addition to any BBQ or potluck buffet this summer.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the Meatless Monday pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work to promote CSR business initiatives and make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.