Meatless Monday with 30-Minutes Vegan Minestrone
Welcome (back) to the Miratel blog for another edition of our Meatless Monday vegan recipe share. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
Transitioning your vegan menu from summer to fall dishes may seem daunting, but that doesn’t have to be the case. This time of year there is still an abundance of local and seasonal vegetables available. A great way to adjust to the increasing chill in the air is with a hearty, warming bowl of soup that can be made any day and at any time. Tonight we’re sharing with you a 30-minute vegan minestrone by Grace Parisi via Food & Wine. Although not exclusively vegetarian or vegan fare, the Food & Wine website also includes some wonderful vegetarian and vegan recipes perfect for every season. With the growing popularity of veganism, you never know where you’ll find a great meat-free recipe.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup drained canned Italian tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup tubetti pasta (1/4 pound)
- 1/2 pound wax beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound baby zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 cup drained canned white beans
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large casserole. Add the mushrooms, garlic and leek and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until barely softened. Add the stock and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until barely softened, about 4 minutes. Add the wax beans, zucchini and white beans, cover partially and cook until tender. Stir in the peas and basil. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and serve.
Tubetti is a small pasta that resembles a tube, but any small pasta or pastina will work well. Small shells or star pasta would work best as alternatives. If you want to make the soup healthier you can choose to use some whole wheat, whole grain or gluten-free pasta in place of traditional pasta. This simple change will add fibre to the soup and keep you fuller longer.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener. ___________________________________________________________________________________
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including PCI compliant inbound telephone fundraising, outbound telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery fundraising services, donation processing and receipting and direct mail fundraising services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all our business decisions and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.