Meatless Monday with a Romantic Vegan Valentine’s Day MealCSR Business, CSR Canada, Green, Meatless Monday, News | Elyse | February 11, 2013 at 12:01 am
Hello and welcome (back) to the Miratel blog for the Valentine’s Day edition of our vegan Meatless Monday recipe share. We took the Meatless Monday pledge to promote the reduction of meat consumption by eliminating it one day per week to preserve planetary health. We consider participating in this great movement part of our CSR business strategies to spread awareness of the impact of personal choices on our environment.
We’re putting together an easy, but elegant and romantic vegan dinner to share with that special someone on Valentine’s Day. Our Italian inspired menu includes a Grilled Portobello Salad with Fennel and Green Apple from The Vegan Project, Vegan Puttanesca from Vegan Living Today and Raspberry Tiramisu Cupcakes from Chef Chloe Coscarelli, (vegan) winner of Food Network’s Cupcake Wars. Let’s get started.
Grilled Portobello Salad with Fennel and Green Apple Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 green apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2-1 cup whole walnuts, lightly toasted on your stovetop
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped fresh chives
- 2 portobello mushrooms, lightly drizzled in olive oil and Bragg’s, grilled and sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Vegan EFA antioxidant oil blend (This oil has such a delicious flavour and is great for optimal vegan health)
- juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Tear the butter lettuce leaves in a large bowl. Add fennel, green apple, lemon zest and toasted walnuts, once they’ve cooled down a bit. Whisk together salad dressing ingredients and and pour over entire salad. Dish out two generous portions of salad with a slice portobello mushroom each on the side.
Vegan Puttanesca Recipe Ingredients (serves 2):
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1-2 Tablespoons
- Canned tomatoes – 1 14-oz can
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves, minced or crushed
- Green Olives – 4
- Black Olives – 4
- Capers – 10
- White Cooking Wine – 2 tablespoons
- Red Pepper Flakes – 1/4 teaspoon
- Basil – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oregano – 1/4 teaspoon
- Black Pepper – dash
- Salt – dash
- Pour 1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1 or 2 cloves of minced or pressed garlic, in a stir fry pan.
- Saute the garlic for a few minutes until cooked but not burnt.
- Add one 14-oz. can of diced tomatoes, 10 capers, 3 black olives, 3 green olives to the pan.
- Sprinkle in red pepper flakes, oregano, basil and salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 min. and serve over your favorite pasta.
Raspberry Tiramisu Cupcakes Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup soy, almond, or rice milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup amaretto
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup agave or sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (I use Medaglia D’ Oro brand. If you can’t find espresso powder, you can use finely ground instant coffee.)
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liquor
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Garnish (optional)
- 12 fresh raspberries
- 12 small mint leaves
- ½ cup ground bittersweet chocolate or raw cacao nibs
- To make the Vanilla Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 1 (12-cup) cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together nondairy milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
- To make the Espresso Soak: In a small bowl, whisk amaretto and espresso powder until espresso dissolves. Set aside.
- To make the Raspberry Sauce: In small saucepan, cook raspberries and agave over medium heat until raspberries wilt down. Let simmer on low for 5 minutes until the mixture becomes a pourable consistency. Remove from heat and mix in vanilla, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt. Taste and adjust sweetness by adding more agave if necessary. Let cool in refrigerator.
- To make the Frosting: Combine espresso powder, amaretto, water, and vanilla in small bowl and mix or swirl bowl until espresso powder has dissolved (about 1 minute). Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the shortening until smooth. With the mixer running on low, add powdered sugar and beat to incorporate. Add 1 tablespoon of espresso liquid at a time, as needed, until it reaches desired frosting consistency and tiramisu flavor. Beat on high for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy.
- To assemble the cupcakes: Using a spoon, cut out a small hole from the top of each cupcake (scoop out about 1 tablespoon of cake) and discard. In the hole of the cupcake, layer approximately 1 teaspoon of the Espresso Soak, 1 tablespoon of the Raspberry Sauce, 2 teaspoons ground chocolate, and piped frosting on top. Garnish with a raspberry and mint leaf.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the Meatless Monday pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.