Meatless Monday with Gluten-free Eggplant CannelloniCSR Business, CSR Canada, Green, Meatless Monday, News | Elyse | March 25, 2013 at 12:01 am
Hello and welcome (back) to the Miratel blog for our weekly meat-free Meatless Monday recipe share. We took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week for planetary health. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it stresses the importance that our food choices have on our environment.
Tonight we’re making a healthier version of the traditional Italian cheese cannelloni except this recipe is pasta free (and gluten-free). This great eggplant cannelloni recipe comes by way of the Epicurious website. Along side this we’ll be serving a fresh green salad topped with a homemade zesty Italian vinaigrette courtesy of Taste of Home.
Eggplant Cannelloni Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) roasted red peppers, drained
- Juice of 1 orange (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 4 kalamata olives, pitted and minced
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook shallots and garlic until soft, about 1 minute. Reduce heat. Cook until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add peppers and juice; bring to a boil. Lower heat; simmer until peppers are soft, about 5 minutes. Cool. Puree in a blender. Pour into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Coat eggplants with cooking spray and broil on a baking sheet until golden on both sides, about 15 minutes. Heat oven to 400°F. Mash cheese, olives, capers and 1 tablespoon of the parsley in a bowl. Place 1 tablespoon of filling at the end of each eggplant slice; roll up. Lay seam side down in dish. Bake 10 to 15 minutes. Top with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
Italian Vinaigrette Recipe Ingredients
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Place the first 11 ingredients in a blender. Cover and process until pureed. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Refrigerate leftovers.
The eggplant cannelloni will serve four and each serving is only 259 calories. The Italian vinaigrette recipe makes 1-1/2 cups or 12 servings and 2 tablespoons equals 126 calories. This is a great salad dressing that you can store in a covered container in your refrigerator. You can add a gluten-free crostini to finish off the meal (or whole-wheat/grain if you don’t mind gluten).
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.