Meatless Monday with Portobello and Zucchini TacosCSR Business, CSR Canada, Green, Meatless Monday, News | Elyse | June 17, 2013 at 12:01 am
Hello and welcome (back) to the Miratel blog for another installment of our Meatless Monday recipe share series. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment. Our weekly recipes are to help make going meat-free easier as simple, delicious and satisfying recipes can be difficult to find.
Today we’re bringing you portobello and zucchini tacos that come from the Martha Stewart kitchen at Everyday Food. The beauty of Portobello mushrooms is that they add the “meaty” taste and texture that some expect when eating tacos so they won’t even miss the meat. Also, this is a very easy meal to make during the week as it takes fifteen minutes to prepare and forty-five to cook, which means dinner can be on the table in about an hour. Let’s dive right in.
- 5 medium Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 12 (4 1/2-inch) corn tortillas
- 6 ounces (1 cup) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh salsa
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss mushrooms with 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper. On another rimmed baking sheet, toss zucchini and onion with remaining teaspoon oregano and tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Place both sheets in oven. Roast, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are browned and fork-tender, 25 to 30 minutes (zucchini may cook faster than mushrooms).
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-high heat, warm tortillas according to package instructions (they should be lightly browned but still soft). Wrap loosely in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
- To serve, fill each tortilla with mushrooms, vegetable mixture, shredded cheese, and salsa.
Tip: when cleaning the Portobello mushrooms “snap off [the] stem, then use a small spoon to gently scrape (then discard) the dark gills from the inside of the cap.”
This recipe can easily be made vegan by either omitting or substituting the cheese with one that is vegan. There are plenty of vegan options to serve alongside this great recipe that could fill a taco toppings bar like black olives, shredded lettuce, jalapeno peppers, chopped tomatoes, sliced onions (red, yellow or green), avocados, salsa or guacamole.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.