Meatless Monday with Quesadilla PieCSR Business, Green, Meatless Monday, News | The Ecolectual | January 18, 2010 at 12:13 am
Here is a great recipe in honor of an eco-friendly initiative we are committed to: Meatless Mondays. The most common complaints about eating healthy and meatless meals is the amount of planning and shopping involved, as well as the cost. This meatless recipe is for eco-friendly semi-organic (depending on if you make your own organic Bisquick or use the store bought version) Quesadilla Pie. This is a meal that can be made easily from ingredients that one already has in their pantry. You can also choose to make-your-own-version of Bisquick (which we include with the recipe below), and you can keep that in Tupperware in the fridge for two months at a time. So when both money and time are in short supply this is an eco-friendly fast and kid friendly meal that will appeal to anyone.
- 2 finely chopped green onions
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso® chopped green chilies, well drained
- 2 cups of shredded Cheddar Cheese or Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped fresh Cilantro
- ¾ Cup of Original Bisquick mix or homemade organic alternative (see blow)
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 3 eggs
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate, and place it on a cookie sheet
- Pre-heat oven to 400ºF
- Sprinkle cheese, chilies, onions and cilantro into the bottom of the pie plate.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg, milk and Bisquick together until well blended and lump free.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the pie plate.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
When making this easy Quesadilla Pie, let it cool for five minutes before cutting. Serve it with your favorite USDA certified organic salsa and a low fat or non-dairy sour cream. Add a salad and your meal is complete. This is a great meal for anytime of the year, the ingredients used (except maybe for the cilantro) are items normally on your grocery list.
An eco-friendly recipe for an alternative to Bisquick is not hard to find, after pouring through countless entries one of my favorites was courtesy of Earth’s Organic News:
- Mix 9 cup four
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1 TB. Salt
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Cups of shortening
Combine dry ingredients and cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in airtight containers. This can be substituted for any of your favorite Bisquick recipes.
I hope you enjoy this meatless Monday meal. For more information on choosing a meatless alternative on Mondays, visit meatlessmonday.com.