Meatless Monday with Sauteed Zucchini, Tomatoes, Garlic and Hot Chili PastaBusiness in Toronto / Ontario, CSR Business, CSR Canada, Green, Meatless Monday, News, Toronto News | Elyse | October 22, 2012 at 12:01 am
Hello and thanks for stopping by the Miratel blog for a Meatless Monda vegetarian recipe share. The Meatless Monday pledge aims to reduce meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve the health of the planet. Miratel supports this great movement and includes it as part of its CSR business strategies to spread awareness of the connection between food choices and the environment.
Tonight we’re making a fresh pasta dish featuring sauteed zucchini with tomatoes, garlic and hot chili over pasta. The recipe comes courtesy of Canadian chef and restaurateur Michael Bonacini during an appearance on CityTV’s Cityline with Tracy Moore. Michael Bonacini is a creator of Oliver & Bonacini Restaurants – one of Canada’s leading fine dining restaurant companies operating 12 restaurants in Ontario including Canoe, Auberge du Pommier, Jump, Biff’s Bistro and Luma.
- 2 medium zucchini (one yellow and one green)
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, slivered
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 20 black olives pitted
- ¼ tsp fresh chili pepper, diced
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Splash olive oil
- ½ tsp butter
- ¼ cup white wine (dry)
- Salt and pepper
- To prepare the zucchini: wash, dry, and cut in half. Next, remove the centre seed portion using a teaspoon and scooping along the centre until all seeds are removed. Next, slice the zucchini at a 45 degree angle, approximately 1/8 of an inch thick.
- In a medium size pan, over medium to high heat, sauté the diced onion, chili, and garlic until soft and tender, until they start to turn light brown on the edges.
- Next, add the sliced zucchini and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Then, add the tomatoes and the white wine, season with salt and pepper and cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, add the olives and butter, followed by your noodle of choice and toss and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.
To make this elegant meal healthier you can substitute traditional pasta for 100% whole wheat, whole grain or gluten-free options to increase the fibre intake.
The zucchini mixture for this pasta dish also makes a great side dish so you can always make extra of this mixture and set it aside to enjoy another night. Serve this delicious pasta dish alongside a healthy arugula salad with olive oil and lemon juice or your favourite green salad with a light balsamic dressing. This is a flavourful restaurant quality dish you’ll be happy to serve as an everyday meal or for a special occasion.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the Meatless Monday pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work to promote CSR business initiatives and make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.