Meatless Monday with Vegan Crispy Chipotle Tofu Bites
Welcome (back) to the Miratel blog for our Meatless Monday vegan recipe share. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
As I wrote last week, Tofu is a very versatile protein choice for vegan as it can adapt to a variety of recipes and cooking treatments. Its texture can range from silky smooth to crunchy and chewy depending on how it’s marinated and cooked. Examples are Crunchy Popcorn Bite, Sweet and Spicy Tofu and Maple Sesame Tofu along with today’s recipe for Crispy Chipotle Tofu Bites. This delicious and easy-to-make recipe comes courtesy of Celeste Meredith of The Whole Serving, a great vegetarian blog with many vegan options via the consistently inspiring One Green Planet.
INGREDIENTS (makes 32 tofu bites)
TO MAKE THE TOFU:
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu
- 40-45 vegan and gluten-free crackers
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup warm water
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons tamari sauce
- Salt, to taste
TO MAKE THE TOFU:
- Press your tofu. Place drained tofu on baking sheet lined with a kitchen towel and paper towels, place more paper towels, and kitchen towel on top of tofu. Place another baking sheet on top, with a heavy skillet in pan, allow tofu to press for about 15 minutes.
- While tofu is being pressed, place crackers in a sealable plastic bag and crush with rolling pin. When crackers are all crushed add garlic, onion, chipotle, red pepper, and salt to zip bag and mix well.
- Empty crushed cracker mix in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix ground flax seed and warm water until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray baking rack with cooking oil and place in baking pan, set aside.
- Take pressed tofu and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Whisk flax mixture to assure it’s well combined, dip tofu into flax, then into crumbs, then place on a rack. If you don’t have a rack, use a parchment-lined pan and turn your tofu halfway through cooking time.
- Bake for 15 minutes. While tofu bakes, prepare dipping sauce.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
TO MAKE THE DIPPING SAUCE:
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until well combined.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a PCI certified Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional services including PCI compliant inbound telephone fundraising, outbound telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery fundraising services, donation processing and receipting, direct mail fundraising, data breech response and other call centre services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all our business decisions and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.