Meatless Monday with Vegan Easy Lo Mein
Welcome to the Miratel blog for our Meatless Monday vegan recipe share. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
Through the week, when time is at a premium, it’s easy to opt for take-away or some sort of convenience food because it’s fast and gets the job done. Healthy, delicious and satisfying dishes that can be made fast are the perfect alternative to fast-food and today’s recipe for Easy Lo Mein is a great example. According to the talented chef who created this fine dish, “There are few things in this world that are better than a good bowl of lo mein and this recipe makes it easy to have these noodles whenever you like! The sauce is simple and elegant and the works perfectly with the hot noodles and crisp green onions. This recipe is quick, easy, and perfect if you are in a rush to get dinner on the table.” This tasty yet hearty recipe comes courtesy of Maya Sozer of Dreamy Leaf, an excellent website with amazing vegan recipes and images via One Green Planet.
FOR THE NOODLES:
- 8 ounces wide lo mein noodles or gluten-free noodles
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions, separate white and green parts
- 2 carrots, julienne cut or chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup green peas
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Sesame seeds (optional)
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Put all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, whisk them, and set them a
- Cook the noodles according to their package directions.
- Drain them and set them aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet and add white parts of the onion. Cook this for one minute
- Add all the vegetables as well as the green parts of the onions. Stir and cook this for 2 more minutes
- Add the noodles and the sauce and cook the mixture for one more minute.
- Optionally, decorate the noodles with the sesame seeds
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a PCI certified Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional services including PCI compliant inbound telephone fundraising, outbound telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery fundraising services, donation processing and receipting, direct mail fundraising, data breech response and other call centre services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all our business decisions and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.