Meatless Monday with Vegan Miso Mushroom Noodle Bowl
Welcome (back) to the Miratel blog and to our Meatless Monday vegan recipe share series. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
It might seem daunting to create a vegan meal so every Monday we share a new recipe using readily available vegan ingredients to help take the guesswork out of what to make for your plant-based dinner.
As the weather gets colder, there is nothing more satisfying than a warming and hearty soup and today’s miso mushroom noodle bowl is certain to deliver. This delicious Asian inspired meal in a bowl is quick and simple to prepare and comes courtesy of Mushrooms Canada.
Miso Mushroom Noodle Bowl Ingredients (makes 4 bowls)
Image courtesy of mushrooms.ca
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 small hot chili peppers, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1x 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons yellow miso paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- 2 cups mixed mushrooms (I used white, crimini and shiitake and left the shiitake intact, quartered the white and finely sliced the crimini)
- 200g fresh soba noodles
- handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot (big enough to hold all the broth and other ingredients).
- Over a medium-high heat sauté the shallots, chili peppers, garlic and ginger until they are just starting to soften, but don’t let them colour.
- Add the miso paste and soy sauce and stir to thoroughly coat the shallot mixture.
- Add the broth, increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the mushrooms and bring back to the boil.
- Add the noodles and cook for a remaining 4-5 minutes – the noodles and the mushrooms should be “al dente”.
- Divide amongst four bowls and serve with a scattering of cilantro.
With this meal you’ll have all the flavour and variety of the best takeout but you’re able to control the ingredients you use to keep it healthy. You can adjust the chili peppers to suit your palate. This is a recipe you can easily use when entertaining as it is sure to impress any foodie.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.