Meatless Monday with Vegan Super Simple Veggie Big Mac
Welcome to the Miratel blog for another edition of our Meatless Monday vegan recipe share. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
People often assume being vegan means eating lettuce only – it’s a common confusion. What can you eat? is a question most vegans get from omnivores quite frequently. The truth is there is a vegan option for most omni recipes. You just have to get a little creative sometimes and the vegan palate is already cleansed of liking the flavour of actual meat so we are very open to alternatives. Today’s recipe for Super Simple Veggie Big Mac is a great example of a vegan take on a traditional fast-food dish. According to the chef “These McDonald’s Big Mac remakes couldn’t be easier — made from refried beans and bread crumbs, the patties grill in up a flash and then all you need to do is assemble. In true Big Mac fashion, you have a burger bun in between patties, crisp shredded lettuce, sweet, creamy sauce, and a slice of vegan cheese. Serve with a side of easy homemade fries and you are good to go!” This crazy easy and delicious recipe comes courtesy of Melanie Sorrentino of Rich Bitch Cooking, an excellent website with amazing vegan recipes and images via the always incredible One Green Planet.
INGREDIENTS (serves 1)
FOR THE BURGERS:
- 2.5 servings from a 16.5-ounce of refried beans from a can or make your own
- Approximately 1/2 cup bread crumbs (gluten-free if needed)
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- Shredded lettuce
- Vegan cheese slices
- 2 bottom burger buns (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 top burger bun (gluten-free if needed)
FOR THE FRIES:
- Potatoes (as many as you want)
- Slice and chop the potatoes into fry shape. Rinse potatoes with water then dry with a paper towel. Coat with oil and salt. Bake at 400°F for 45 minutes.
- Mash refried beans with bread crumbs. Add more bread crumbs to firm the patties up. Use less to make patties less dry but more mushy. Grill patties.
- Mix 1 tablespoon vegan mayo with 1 teaspoon ketchup
- Put shredded lettuce on the bottom bun. Put one slice of vegan cheese on the lettuce. Add bean patty on top of vegan cheese. Put the second bottom bun on top. You may need a toothpick to hold those all together.
- Add lettuce to the second bottom bun then top with second bean patty.
- Put sauce on the top patty. Crown it with the top bun.
- Plate with fries with the burger.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a PCI certified Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional services including PCI compliant inbound telephone fundraising, outbound telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery fundraising services, donation processing and receipting, direct mail fundraising, data breech response and other call centre services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all our business decisions and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.