Meatless Monday with Vegan Sweet and Spicy Cola Tofu
Welcome to the Miratel blog for our Meatless Monday vegan recipe share. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
With this past weekend being the Superbowl, we were reminded that there is no reason why vegans can’t enjoy the same type of game day food fare as omnivores. Aside from being able to nibble on a veggie tray, nuts, (most) potato chips and tortilla chips and guacamole, there are a number of other options like Crunchy Tofu Popcorn Bites with Sweet Mustard Sauce, Buffalo Tofu Bites with Ranch, Veggie Muffuletta, Mac and Cheese Pies and today’s Sweet and Spicy Cola Tofu. According to the chef, “This cola-glazed tofu might sound like a weird combination at first, but it’s so good! It’s sweet, hot, and a little bit sticky. As the tofu cooks, the sauce caramelizes, which results in crispy edges for the tofu. Serve this with rice, veggies, and avocado.” This delicious recipe comes courtesy of Alicja Rokicka of Wegan Nerd, a great, award-winning Poland-based blog (you can translate into English) via the very reliable and always inspiring One Green Planet.
- 1 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cans of cola of choice
- 3 heaping tablespoons ketchup
- 1-2 teaspoons hot paprika paste or Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- Dry tofu with a paper towel. Cut into cubes, then halve each cube and place tofu in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, add soy sauce or tamari, cola, ketchup, ginger, and paprika or Sriracha. Whisk with a fork to combine, then pour over the tofu. Make sure that each piece has been covered by in marinade.
- Transfer to a bowl of tofu and stir so that all covered in marinade. Place bowl in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours, stirring from time to time.
- Stick tofu with skewers, then fry on a grill pan, rotating and brushing with extra marinade from time to time. The tofu marinade should take on a darker color and caramelize a little. You can also use a traditional grill.
- Before serving, sprinkle with chopped green herbs. Serve with bread, rice, avocado, or whatever you want.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a PCI certified Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional services including PCI compliant inbound telephone fundraising, outbound telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery fundraising services, donation processing and receipting, direct mail fundraising, data breech response and other call centre services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all our business decisions and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.