10 Most Popular Countries in the WorldBusiness in Toronto / Ontario, CSR Business, CSR Canada, Economic News, News, Toronto News | Elyse | May 29, 2013 at 12:01 am
Regular readers of the blog will know that I often cover country rankings especially those that reflect how Canada measures up in areas like best countries to live, the smartest countries, the happiest countries, the most peaceful countries, the most sustainable countries, the friendliest countries, the most charitable countries, the most prosperous countries, the best countries for quality of life, the best countries for business, the top countries for life expectancy, the best countries for working women, the best country for world travel & tourism, the best countries for human development, the top countries for Clean Capitalism, the best country for child well-being, the best countries from social progress and the best countries for higher education. Today, I’m going to share the 10 most popular countries in the world from the 2013 Country Ratings Poll.
This poll was conducted by GlobeScan together with the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) for the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). To compile the data, a total of “26,299 citizens across 25 countries were interviewed face-to-face or by telephone between December 10, 2012 and April 9, 2013.” Respondents were asked to “rate 16 countries and the EU on whether their influence in the world is “mostly positive” or “mostly negative”.” Gaps represent responses like depends; neither/neutral; or don’t know/not applicable. Based on these survey results, the 10 most popular countries in the world are:
- Germany – Mainly Positive: 59 and Mainly Negative: 15. Germany’s positive perception rating went up three points from 2012 and its negative score went down by one.
- Canada – Mainly Positive: 55 and Mainly Negative: 13. Canada’s positive score went up two points and its negative score went down one from the 2012 version of the list
- UK – Mainly Positive: 55 and Mainly Negative: 18. The UK experienced the largest positive change as its score went up four points and their negative score went down by two from 2012.
- Japan – Mainly Positive: 51 and Mainly Negative: 27. Japan had the worst changes of the top five as its positive score went down by seven and their negative score went up by six from 2012.
- France – Mainly Positive: 49 and Mainly Negative: 21. France’s scores didn’t change much as its positive score went up by one and its negative score went down by one point since the last survey.
- EU – Mainly Positive: 49 and Mainly Negative: 24. The changes in the EU’s scores mirrored France’s experience as its positive score went up by one and its negative score decreased by one point.
- Brazil – Mainly Positive: 46 and Mainly Negative: 21. Brazil’s positive score went up by one point and unfortunately its negative score went up by three since 2012.
- USA – Mainly Positive: 45 and Mainly Negative: 34. The US’ positive score decreased by two points since 2012 and its negative score went up by one.
- China – Mainly Positive: 42 and Mainly Negative: 39. China’s scores didn’t fair well as its positive score decreased by eight and its negative score increased by eight points in one year.
- South Korea – Mainly Positive: 36 and Mainly Negative: 31. South Korea’s positive score went down by one point and its negative score went up by four points since the 2012 version of this list.
“The most favourable views about Canada are found in the US (84% and stable), France (82% and stable), the UK (80%, up seven points), and Australia (79%, but down five points).” This type of survey can have a positive economic impact as individuals and business will be drawn to countries they view favourably. These survey results can also show governments where attention is needed to change policies and perception. Congrats to Canada for moving up one rank from the 2012 survey.
For nonprofit, CSR business, Canada and other news, please connect with us on Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin or subscribe to our RSS feed. Miratel Solutions is a Canada call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values and advancing the missions of the non-profits we proudly serve.