10 Online Shops that Support Nonprofit Fundraising or Promote a Cause Part 2CSR Business, CSR Canada, Fundraising Services, Lottery fundraising, News, Non-profit fundraising, Philanthropy | Elyse | December 19, 2012 at 12:01 am
This is the second installment of our gifts that give back guide which should really be considered throughout the year and not just during the holidays. As I mentioned in Part 1, online shopping is expected to top $96 billion this year and if any part of that can go towards nonprofit fundraising this holiday season then everyone wins. I mean, what better gift can you give than one that improves the quality of life for another person? With that in mind, here are 10 great causes with online catalogues all offering excellent gift choices that are sure to make the purchaser, recipient and the charity a little happier.
- Concern Worldwide’s mission it “to help people living in extreme poverty achieve major improvements in their lives that last and spread without ongoing support from Concern.” The organization is supported by celebrities like Toni Collett, who said “Concern Gifts is a way to honor your family, friends, and colleagues with a gift that makes a profound impact on people who don’t have even the most basic essentials, like food and clean water.” Concern Gifts is their online catalogue of items that can save and transform the lives of people living in extreme poverty.
- Plan International is a “global movement for change, mobilizing millions of people around the world to support social justice for children in developing countries.” Both the USA and Canada websites have a large and varied online catalogue that allows supporters to give a “Gift of Hope” which can be chosen according to category and/or price range.
- Oxfam Canada “works to find lasting solutions to poverty in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas,” and purchases made through their online catalogue, Oxfam Unwrapped, helps support the completion of this work. They offer a wide variety of items for any price point ranging from a $15 dollar chicken to a $175 well. You select an item and a card is sent to the person in whose name the gift is given. Oxfam USA shop is also open for purchases.
- UNICEF Canada offers a selection of survival gifts through its online store and when you purchase one “it means a child can go to school, drink clean water, or get desperately needed nutrition and medicine.” Survival Gifts are segregated into categories like health, water, education, food, play, emergency and urgent need and are available in a variety of price points ranging from $10 for anti-malaria tablets to a 4WD vehicle for $38,159.00. UNICEF USA has an extensive Unwrapped online catalogue.
- Care Canada’s mission “to serve individuals and families in the poorest communities in the world” towards a “world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security.” Through their online catalogue they encourage supporters to “Give the gift of empowerment” which can be selected by gift type: entrepreneurship, animals, farming, health and women & girls.
- Canadian Hunger Foundation is “dedicated to enabling poor rural communities in developing countries to attain sustainable livelihoods.” They offer “Gifts that Matter” via their online store that anyone can afford as they range from a chick for $10 to a $195 holiday hamper that includes a goat, water purification, mosquito nets, chickens, a pig and mango trees and a $300 Heifer cow.
- World Vision Canada is a “Christian relief, development and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.” Through World Vision Gifts online they offer “Gifts that change lives” that are categorized into Gifts that Empower, Gifts for Survival and Gifts with Added Impact for a wide range of prices. The World Vision USA online store encourages supporters to “Share the true spirit of Christmas”.
- Heifer International Canada’s mission is to “end hunger and poverty and care for the earth. We envision a world of communities, living together in peace and equitably sharing the resources of a healthy planet. In Canada and other parts of the world, that means helping low income people achieve sustainable livelihoods through agricultural activities.” You can support this organization through their online gift catalogue by purchasing a “Gift that Gives Hope” that ranges from a $10 goat to a $5,000 Gardeners Dream. If you are in the USA, you can visit their online Gift Catalogue.
- Canadian Feed The Children envision “a world in which children thrive, free of poverty.” With a mission “to enhance the well-being of children and the self-sufficiency of their families and communities. Canadian Feed The Children provides a bridge between those who can help and those who need help.” Purchases made through their Best. Gift. Ever online shop “make a lasting difference in the lives of children and families here in Canada and six countries around the world.”
- Food for the Hungry (FH) Canada “part of the global Food for the Hungry association, is a Christian non-profit organization dedicated to ending poverty – one community at a time.” Through their online Gift Guide they encourage purchasers to Choose a Gift. Give a Card. Deliver Hope. Gifts range from a $20 breakfast club which feeds 2 children breakfast for a school year to the $1000 water well construction.
Please take a moment and click on the links above to visit these sites and consider giving an alternative gift that will make a positive impact this holiday season and throughout the year.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.