Meatless Monday with Lentil-Barley Burgers with Fiery Fruit SalsaCSR Business, CSR Canada, Green, Meatless Monday, News | Elyse | June 10, 2013 at 12:01 am
Welcome (back) to the Miratel blog for the latest instalment of our Meatless Monday vegetarian recipe share. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
As the weather gets warmer people’s thoughts turn to barbequing and burgers naturally come to mind. There is no reason why you can’t have a vegetarian version of this favourite dish that is light and healthy like our lentil-barley burgers with fiery fruit salsa. This delicious recipe comes courtesy of My Recipes.
Lentil-Barley Burgers with Fiery Fruit Salsa Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pineapple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mango
- 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatillo
- 1/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup cooked pearl barley
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Combine first 6 ingredients; cover and refrigerate.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups water and lentils in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain. Place half of lentils in a large bowl. Place remaining lentils in a food processor; process until smooth. Add processed lentils to whole lentils in bowl.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and carrot; sauté 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add onion mixture to lentils. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, barley, and next 5 ingredients (through egg); stir well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Divide mixture into 8 portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and 4 patties. Serve with salsa.
If you have time the day before you can make the burger mixture and leave it covered in the refrigerator. Then all you have to do is form the patties and cook them when it’s time for dinner. This would be a perfect way to be able to make this super healthy meal when you are crunched for time through the week.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.