Meatless Monday with Quinoa and Black Bean PattiesCSR Business, CSR Canada, Green, Meatless Monday, News | Elyse | March 4, 2013 at 12:01 am
Hello and welcome (back) to the Miratel blog for the latest Meatless Monday recipe share. The Meatless Monday pledge aims to reduce meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve planetary health. Miratel supports this great initiative and includes it as part of its CSR business strategies and we share a new recipe each Monday to help make going meatless easier.
On the menu tonight is a healthy (and delicious) meat-free burger made with nutritious quinoa and black beans. This great recipe comes courtesy of the very interesting site Cook,Train, Eat, Race. Check it out.
- 1/4c dry quinoa (rinsed)
- 1/4c dry black beans (or canned but rinse well)
- 100g Avocado (separated)
- 2 eggs (omit if vegan)
- 1c spinach and arugula
- 1 Tbsp flour
- Soak the black beans overnight or at least for 2-3 hours if you are short on time (or use canned).
- In a pot bring 3c of water to a boil with the beans in the water and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 2-3 hours to soften
- Toward the end of the cooking process of the beans add 1/4c quinoa to a different pot and toast for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2c of water to the quinoa and bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- When the beans are soft enough remove from heat and drain then place them into a bowl.
- With a fork (or potato masher) combine 50g of avocado and the beans until well mixed leaving a few chunks of beans.
- After the quinoa is fully cooked (you will know its done when steam holes form) remove from heat and place into bowl with beans and avocado. Combine.
- Set bowl into refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and sprinkle flour into the mixture and begin forming the quinoa and black bean patty in your hands.
- Place patty on a pre-heated griddle or frying pan.
- After a crust has formed on one side flip the quinoa and black bean patty over and allow another crust to form.
- While the patty is cooking on the second side begin to cook the eggs until your desired consistency.
- Plate the spinach and arugula then top with the quinoa and black bean patties.
- Top the patties with the fried eggs and the remaining avocado (in slices.)
If you are vegan you can omit the eggs. Also, if you have any wheat sensitivities you can substitute with gluten-free flour, bread crumbs or oats.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.