Meatless Monday with Vegan Crab Cakes with Sauce
Hello and welcome (back) for another installment of our flavour packed Meatless Monday recipe series. As you might know, Miratel supports Meatless Monday as it encourages eliminating meat from your diet one day per week to preserve the health of our planet (and ourselves!). We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
Just because you’re making a vegan meal doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice some of your favourite flavours. Tonight we’ll be enjoying vegan crab cakes with sauce and this delicious recipe comes courtesy of hell yeah it’s vegan, an incredible vegan recipe resource. The recipes all work and will convert even the most serious meat-eater even if it’s just for one meal. Seriously – check it out.
- 2 c grated zucchini
- 1 c bread crumbs or panko
- 1 tsp ground bay leaves
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground white pepper
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- ⅛ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp paprika
- dash red pepper flakes
- ¼ c silken tofu
- 1½ Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp potato starch
- ¼ c fresh parsley, chopped
- oil for frying
- Place grated zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs and spices.
- In a small bowl, beat together tofu, mayo, lemon juice, mustard, starch, and parsley.
- Scoop zucchini out of the colander and, with your hands, squeeze out as much excess liquid as you can.
- Combine drained zucchini, bread crumb mixture and wet mixture and mix well. The batter will be dry, but you should be able to gather a ball of it in your hand without it falling apart.
- Divide the batter into eight equal parts; shape into balls and flatten slightly into thick discs.
- Heat a generous quarter inch of neutral oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, fry cakes in batches of four for a couple of minutes per side, or until nicely browned.
- Serve hot, with lemon wedges, cocktail sauce and tartar sauce.
For cocktail sauce: stir together: ½ c ketchup 2 tbsp horseradish 1 tbsp lemon juice hot sauce to taste salt and pepper to taste
For vegan tartar sauce: stir together: ½ c vegan mayonnaise 1 Tbsp sweet pickle relish 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Chef’s note: For optimal texture, be sure to let the zucchini sweat as long as possible, and then squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
To complete this meal, serve with a large green salad dressed in your favourite light vinaigrette and maybe some roast potatoes. Oh so veganlicious.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.