Meatless Monday with Vegan Rockin’ Moroccan StewCSR Business, CSR Canada, Green, Meatless Monday, News | Elyse | November 19, 2012 at 12:01 am
Hello and welcome (back) to the Miratel blog for another meat-free recipe in honour of Meatless Monday. The Meatless Monday pledge aims to reduce meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve our planet. Miratel considers this great movement part of its CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of food choices on our environment.
Every week we feature a new meatless recipe to help take the guess work out of deciding which meal to prepare. Tonight we’re making a delicious and hearty Moroccan vegan stew which uses the bounty of the fall season. By making use of seasonal fare like carrots, potatoes and butternut squash you’re not only reducing your ecological footprint, but also making an economical choice. This meal allows you to enjoy the flavours of Morocco without having to leave your house. Our recipe comes by way of Taste of Home.
Moroccan vegetarian stew ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add spices and salt; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the water, squash, potatoes, carrots and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and squash are almost tender.
- Add zucchini and chickpeas; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
If you’re looking for an easy meal to make on a Monday this is the perfect dish for you as it takes twenty minutes of preparation time and only thirty minutes to cook. You can even make it ahead as it gets better if it sits overnight so you can make it on Sunday, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge and then eat it on Monday. Also, this rockin’ stew reheats well so you can bring leftovers for lunch the next day or have it for dinner again. Serve with couscous or with warm 100% whole-wheat or whole grain pita bread. Another great addition to this dish would be to put a dollop of vegan yogurt or sour cream on top to help cool the spice.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the Meatless Monday pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work to promote CSR business initiatives and make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.