TIFF 2012 Celebrities and the Causes They Support Part 1CSR, Fundraising Services, Lottery fundraising, News, Non-profit fundraising, Philanthropy | Elyse | August 31, 2012 at 12:01 am
The Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) is the “leading public film festival in the world, screening more than 300 films from 60+ countries every September” and it begins next week. As I wrote on Wednesday, this TIFF time of year has also become known as a festival of fundraisers as the charitable events benefit from the increased celebrity presence in Toronto. It’s not a new concept as brands have long used a star’s name and image to lend credibility and trust towards their product(s) and/or service(s). Celebrities can help spread awareness for a charity that is meaningful to them and the TIFF season is the perfect time as they can promote their latest work and a cause all at the same time.
I have explored this relationship previously in posts such as 10 Most Charitable Celebrities from the 2012 Oscar Nominees, the 10 Top Forbes Power Celebrities and the Charities They Support, the 10 Highest Paid Celebrities from Forbes Under 30 List and their Philanthropic Efforts, 10 Top Celebrity Charitable Contributions Based on Publicity Value, the 10 Highest Paid Actors from Forbes List and their Charities and 5 of the Highest Paid Celebrity Couples and Their Charitable Associations. TIFF has become a major draw for tinsel town’s elite and with it beginning next week, I am going to focus on the celebrities descending on our great city and feature some of the charities they support using Look to the Stars as my research assistance.
- Ben Affleck, the actor/director is in town to premiere his film Argo. He has supported Ante Up For Africa, A-T Children’s Project, Children Mending Hearts, Declare Yourself, Eastern Congo Initiative, ENOUGH Project, Feeding America, GLAAD, International Medical Corps, Jimmy Fund, Music Rising, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, Not On Our Watch, ONEXONE, Operation Gratitude, Paralyzed Veterans of America, Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, Robin Hood, Sundance Institute, The Art of Elysium, UNHCR, Unite for Japan and Vital Voices.
- Jason Bateman, the Arrested Development star is coming to the festival with Disconnect. He has supported Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, Chrysalis, Feeding America, March Of Dimes, Racing for Kids, Soles4Souls and The Art of Elysium.
- Halle Berry, the Oscar winner’s film Cloud Atlas will be featured at the festival. She supports Afghanistan Relief Organization, Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, Callaway Golf Foundation, Clothes Off Our Back, Diabetes Aware, DKMS, Entertainment Industry Foundation, Jenesse Center, Kids Wish Network, LIVESTRONG, Love Our Children USA, Make-A-Wish Foundation, March Of Dimes, Revlon Run/Walk For Women, Shane’s Inspiration, Stand Up To Cancer and T.Y.M.E. Ministries.
- Billy Bob Thornton will be bringing the film Jayne Mansfield’s Car to TIFF. He supports Animal Rescue Foundation, Damon and Stella Foundation, GRAMMY Foundation, MusiCares, Solid Rock, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and Wildlife WayStation.
- Jackie Chan. The international star is taking part in the special event In Conversation With… Jackie Chan. He has supported many nonprofits such as ACAP, Action In Mental Health, Camp Quality, Chrysalis, DKMS, Dragon’s Heart Charity, Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation, Kids Wish Network, One Foundation, Operation Smile, Red Cross, Save China’s Tigers, The Salvation Army, UNAIDS, UNICEF, WildAid and World Smile Foundation.
- Darren Criss, The Glee heartthrob will be in town with the film Imogene. He has supported Amnesty International, Education Through Music, New York, The Trevor Project, and Toys for Tots.
- Penelope Cruz, the Oscar winner will be in Toronto for Twice Born. She has supported 21st Century Leaders, Artists for Peace and Justice, Global Green, Greenpeace, ONE Campaign, Pacific Lodge Boys’ Home, (RED), Red Cross, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, The Art of Elysium, UNICEF and Whatever It Takes.
- Robert De Niro the legendary actor will be screening Secret Linings Playbook at TIFF. He has supported a number of charities including 46664, Artists for Peace and Justice, Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, FilmAid International, Film Foundation, Hearts of Gold, Robert F Kennedy Memorial and STILLERSTRONG.
- Johnny Depp, the Pirates of the Carribean star will be at the festival to show his support for the film West of Memphis. He has supported many charities including Actors Fund of America, Children’s Hospice & Palliative Care Coalition, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Dogs Deserve Better, Environmental Justice Foundation, Helen & Douglas House, Julian House, Much Love Animal Rescue, Northampton Welfare Rights Advice Service, Orca Network, Parkinson Society Maritime Region, Project HOME, Ronald McDonald House Charities, Sophie’s Gift, Unite for Japan and War Child.
- Zac Efron, the former Disney darling will be screening his film At Any Price at TIFF. He has been a supporter of American Humane Association, Habitat For Humanity, Make-A-Wish Foundation, Mattel Children’s Hospital and Music for Relief.
- Colin Farrell the Hollywood bad boy who will be screening his film Seven Psychopaths has supported Belong To, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics, It Gets Better Project, Special Olympics, The Trevor Project, UNICEF and World Food Programme.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.