10 Most Charitable Stars from the 2013 Oscar NomineesFundraising, Fundraising Services, Lottery fundraising, News, Non-profit fundraising, Online Fundraising, Philanthropy, Telephone Fundraising | Elyse | February 22, 2013 at 12:01 am
With the Oscars being this coming Sunday, I thought it was a good time to explore the nonprofit fundraising and awareness outreach work of some of the 2013 nominees as we did with the 2012 Oscar nominees. I actually often write about the charitable work performed by celebrities to highlight the good rather than just the scandalous that seems to get the majority of the attention. I recently covered the creative way stars participated in Hurricane Sandy relief Part 1 & Part 2, the 20 Top Celebrities Gone Good of 2012 Part 1 & Part 2 and also 5 Celebrity Charity Events by Musicians.
With the help of Look to the Stars and a bit of my own research, I have compiled the following list that includes some of the amazing organizations and causes that have benefited from the involvement of the following 2013 Oscar nominees:
Adele. The new mum and recent Golden Globe winner for her smash Bond song hit Skyfall has been a proponent of the Sands Stillborn & neonatal death charity, Music Cares, Keep a Child Alive, Save the Music and Amnesty International.
- Steven Spielberg. The three-time Oscar winner is nominated for his 7th best director Oscar for his film Lincoln.”Spielberg is known for having established Righteous Persons Foundation with his earnings from “Schindler’s List” “to fund projects which impact on modern Jewish life.” The renowned director and producer has also supported: American Humane Association, BID 2 BEAT AIDS, Bush Clinton Fund, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Entertainment Industry Foundation, Film Foundation, Healthy Child Healthy World, Motion Picture and Television Fund Foundation, (RED) and USC Shoah Foundation Institute.
- Robert De Niro. The two-time best actor winner is nominated for a seventh time for a supporting actor for his roll as Pat Sr. in Silver Linings Playbook and has supported the following charities: 46664, Artists for Peace and Justice, Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, FilmAid International, Film Foundation, HEART, Hearts of Gold, Robert F Kennedy Memorial and STILLERSTRONG.
- Anne Hathaway. Hathaway is nominated for a second time for her role as Fantine in the big screen adaptation of Les Miserables. She has been a contributor and supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital for quite some time. Additionally she has supported: Alzheimer’s Association, Clinton Foundation, Creative Coalition, Feeding America, GLSEN, Human Rights Campaign, It Gets Better Project, Lollipop Theater Network, Oxfam, Step Up, The Hollywood Cookbook, The Trevor Project and White Knot for Equality.
- Bradley Cooper. The Golden Globe winner and Oscar nominee for best actor for his role as Pat in Silver Linings Playbook does extensive work with LEAP (Learning through the Expanded Arts Program). LEAP helps inner city children learn through involvement with the acting and the arts.
- Hugh Jackman. The best actor nominee for his portrayal of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables is well-known for his charity work. We have previously written about his charitable Laughing Man coffee shop but Jackman has also supported: Actors Fund of America, Aid Still Required, Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, Family Health International, Global Poverty Project, Motion Picture and Television Fund Foundation, Onyx and Breezy Foundation, Operation of Hope, PROJECT ZAMBI, Red Cross, Starlight Children’s Foundation, The Art of Elysium, Think Global, Urban Zen Foundation and Worldwide Orphans Foundation.
- Joaquin Phoenix. Pheonix is nominated for his roll as Freddie Quell in The Master. The two-time Oscar nominee has been a supporter of the following charities: 4REAL Foundation, American Association of Retired Persons, American Foundation for AIDS Research, Amnesty International, Chrysalis, Clothes Off Our Back, Elton John AIDS Foundation, Film Foundation, Food Bank For New York City, Happy Hearts Fund, Hole in the Wall Gang, In Defense of Animals, Live Earth, Peace Alliance, PETA, Project Last Stand, Red Cross, Teenage Cancer Trust, The Art of Elysium, The Black Eyed Peas Foundation, The Lunchbox Fund and To Write Love on Her Arms.
- Amy Adams. Adams is nominated for her role as Peggy Dodd in The Master. She has worked with many charities including: Actors Fund of America, Declare Yourself, Elton John AIDS Foundation, Felix Organization, GLSEN and Motion Picture and Television Fund Foundation.
Jennifer Lawrence. The popular Hunger Games actress has already won a Golden Globe and is a second time Oscar nominee for her role as Tiffany in Silver Linings Playbook. She supports Bellewood, which works to change “lives and build futures for abused and homeless youth across Kentucky. Since 1849, [their] mission has been to care for, elevate and support neglected young people to become self-sufficient adults.”
- Denzel Washington. Nominated for his portrayal of William “Whip” Whitaker in “Flight”, Denzel has spent considerable time visiting injured soldiers at Fisher Houses and has been a spokesperson for the Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs of America and a “Lifetime Founder Member of the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund.” The two-time Oscar winner has also worked with Artists for a New South Africa, Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Elevate Hope Foundation, Entertainment Industry Foundation, Farm Sanctuary, Fulfillment Fund, Hillsides, Keep A Child Alive, Luke Neuhedel Foundation, Project Angel Food, Save Africa’s Children and Stand Up To Cancer.
All of the 85th Academy Awards winners will be announced during the live ceremony telecast this coming Sunday February 24th, 2013. Good luck to all of the deserving nominees listed here.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.