Meatless Monday with Baked Vegetable Egg RollsCSR Business, CSR Canada, Green, News | Elyse | April 9, 2012 at 12:01 am
Hello and welcome (back) to the blog and thank you for joining us for another Meatless Monday vegetarian recipe share. The Meatless Monday pledge aims to reduce meat consumption 15% by eliminating it just one day per week to preserve personal and planetary health. Miratel supports this great initiative and includes it as part of its CSR business strategies to spread awareness of the impact of food choices on our environment.
I found today’s recipe for Baked Egg Rolls at For the Love of Cooking which is a fantastic website that is lovingly cared for by Pam with great recipes and photos. Although it is not a vegetarian recipe website, it does offer plenty of vegetarian options plus you can always adapt a meat recipe to meatless with a little creativity. These baked egg rolls are crunchy, fresh, delicious and easy to make. I have copied the recipe direct from For the Love of Cooking and included some of Pam’s images to help with wrapping and so you can see the finished product.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups of savoy cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 2 cups of bean sprouts
- 1 can of water chestnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 14 egg roll wraps
- Sweet chili dipping sauce or sweet and sour sauce (for dipping)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the cabbage, sprouts, carrots, chestnuts and ginger to the pan and cook, stirring frequently for 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables just begin to wilt but still remain a little bit crisp. Mix the corn starch with the water and mix thoroughly. Add the corn starch mixture and soy sauce to the pan along with the green onions. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place two tablespoons of the cooled mixture on the center of the egg roll wrap. Fold the bottom up over the filling. Next, fold the two sides over, making it look like an envelope, then roll it up like a burrito.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the rolled up egg rolls on a baking sheet. Once you have rolled them all, spray the top of each egg roll with cooking spray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes then turn them over. Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
Serve these baked egg rolls with this excellent raw Asian Noodle Salad. Feel free to add or subtract the vegetables to suit your palate – you can even add some chili peppers if you like your food hot. These baked egg rolls are perfect for lunch, dinner or appetizer.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the Meatless Monday pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work to promote CSR business initiatives and make your green call centre, office, factory, shop or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, CSR business, digital and other news,please connect with us on Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.