Meatless Monday with Curried Couscous with Broccoli and Feta
Hello and welcome (back) for another Meatless Monday recipe share. Miratel supports Meatless Monday as it encourages eliminating meat from your diet one day per week to preserve the health of our planet (and ourselves!). We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
It might seem daunting to think of meat-free meals but we’re helping to take the guesswork out of it by sharing a new recipe with you each Monday. One complaint about vegetarian food is that it is more labour intensive and takes longer to prepare but that’s not always the case as our recipe today for curried couscous with broccoli and feta demonstrates. This flavour-packed recipe comes from My Recipes.
Curried Couscous with Broccoli and Feta Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- /3 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted cashews, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- While couscous stands, steam broccoli florets, covered, for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Combine couscous, broccoli, onion, and next 10 ingredients (onion through chickpeas), tossing gently. Sprinkle with cheese.
This curried couscous with broccoli and feta recipe will yield five servings each will be about 1 ¼ cups. Note that if you want to make this a vegan meal you can easily omit the feta cheese. Thus, this would be perfect if you are entertaining both vegans and vegetarians. This dish would also do well if served cold, so leftovers would make for a great lunch.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.