Meatless Monday with No-Bake Summer Vegetable LasagnaCSR Business, CSR Canada, Green, Meatless Monday, News | Elyse | August 13, 2012 at 12:01 am
Hello and welcome (back) to the Miratel blog and thank you for stopping by for a Meatless Monday vegetarian recipe share. The Meatless Monday pledge aims to reduce meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve personal and planetary health. Miratel supports this great initiative and includes it as part of its CSR business strategies to spread awareness of the impact of food choices on our environment.
On the menu tonight is a fresh no-bake summer vegetable lasagna. While lasagna does not seem like a traditional warm-weather meal, this version is perfect for a hot summer night. The beautiful image of this lasagna first caught my eye on Pinterest and I was thrilled it was vegetarian and then loved the seasonal freshness of the flavours of this dish. The recipes comes from Gimme Some Oven a fabulous blog with some great recipes (both vegetarian and non). Check it out if you haven’t yet.
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 2 zucchini (about 1 lb) — I used half zucchini, half yellow squash
- small handful fresh basil (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, and 2 tsp oil; season with salt and pepper. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook noodles according to package instructions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add garlic (minced) and tomatoes (halved); season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until slightly broken down, about 3 minutes. Transfer tomatoes to a bowl. Add 1 Tablespoon oil, zucchini and squash (sliced thinly) to skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until zucchini are tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to another bowl and stir in basil (torn).
- Place some tomatoes on four plates; top with a noodle and small spoonfuls ricotta, zucchini, add more tomatoes. Repeat layering twice, then top with remaining noodles and tomatoes. Garnish with basil.
This no-bake summer vegetable lasagna will yield 4 portions but can easily be adjusted for a larger group. Feel free to experiment with different vegetables and cheeses.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the Meatless Monday pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work to promote CSR business initiatives and make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.