Meatless Monday with Raise the Roof Vegan Sweet Potato Lasagna
Hello and welcome (back) to the Miratel blog, for another Meatless Monday recipe. Miratel took the Meatless Monday challenge as it encourages eliminating meat from your diet one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it raises awareness of the impact our food and other personal choices have on our environment.
Today we’re sharing a recipe for Raise the Roof Vegan Sweet Potato Lasagna from the Engine 2 Diet website which is a great resource for anyone looking for information on vegan living. Let’s get cooking.
Vegan Sweet Potato Lasagna Ingredients (makes 12 servings):
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small head of garlic, all cloves chopped or pressed
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 package Silken Lite tofu
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 jars Engine 2 approved pasta sauce
- 2 boxes whole grain lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 6 roma tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 cup raw cashews, ground
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sauté the onion and garlic on high heat for 3 minutes in a wok or nonstick pan.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until the onions are limp and the mushrooms give up their liquid. Remove them to a large bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Reserve the mushroom liquid in the pan.
- Sauté the broccoli and carrots for 5 minutes and add to the mushroom bowl.
- Sauté the peppers and corn until just beginning to soften. Add them to the vegetable bowl.
- Drain the silken tofu by wrapping in paper towels. Break it up directly in the towel and mix into the vegetable bowl. Add spices to the vegetable bowl and combine.
To assemble the vegetable lasagna:
- Cover the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch casserole with a layer of sauce.
- Add a layer of noodles. Cover the noodles with sauce. This way the noodles cook in the oven, saving time and energy.
- Spread the vegetable mixture over the sauced noodles. Cover with a layer of noodles and another dressing of sauce.
- Add the spinach to the second layer of sauced noodles. Cover the spinach with the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Add another layer of sauce, the final layer of noodles, and a last topping of sauce. Cover the lasagna with thinly sliced roma tomatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle with the cashews, and return to the oven for 15 minutes. Let lasagna sit for 15 minutes before serving.
This delicious meal is best served with a lightly dressed green salad.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.