Meatless Monday with Roasted Garlic Vegetable Tart
Welcome (back) to the Miratel blog for another Meatless Monday. The Meatless Monday pledge aims to reduce meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve planetary health. Miratel supports this great initiative and includes it as part of its CSR business strategies and we share a new recipe each Monday to help make going meatless easier.
On today’s menu is a roasted garlic vegetable tart that is sure to wow friends and family regardless if they are meat-eaters or not. This meal uses local, seasonal produce like butternut squash and peppers which helps to reduce the ecological footprint of your food even further. Our recipe comes from Food Network Canada host Anna Olson’s show Fresh with Anna Olson. Now let’s get cooking.
Ingredients (serves 6)
Roasted Garlic Vegetable Tart image courtesy of foodnetwork.ca
- 1 head garlic
- 1 cup canola oil
- 6 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- salt and pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 head sliced fennel
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- finely grated lemon zest
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- For roasted garlic oil, preheat oven to 375 F. Peel garlic cloves and place in a baking dish. Cover with oil, stir to coat, and cover dish. Bake until garlic cloves are golden, about 40 minutes. Let cool.
- Toss squash with 3 tbsp garlic oil and season lightly. Bake squash, covered for 15 minutes at 375 F, then uncover and reduce temperature to 350 F, and bake until tender, about 20 more minutes.
- Toss cooled squash with diced red pepper, sliced fennel, sage and lemon zest. Season to taste.
- To assemble tart, increase oven temperature back to 375 F. Spread out 1 sheet of phyllo (keeping other sheets covered). Brush lightly with garlic oil and lay another sheet over. Continue layering remaining phyllo sheets, brushing with garlic oil between each layer. Fold phyllo in half lengthwise and gently lift and place in an ungreased rectangle (4-x- 10 inch) removable-bottom tart pan. Spoon squash filling into tart shell and crumble feta over. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until phyllo is a rich brown.
- Serve tart warm or at room temperature.
This roasted garlic vegetable tart is an elegant meal you can make for company fairly easily as it takes 30 minutes to prepare and has a total cooking time of one hour and forty minutes. Serve with a fresh green salad with a lemon vinaigrette and some crusty bread.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the Meatless Monday pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work to promote CSR business initiatives and make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.