Meatless Monday with Vegan Buffalo Tofu Fries
Welcome to the Miratel blog for another addition to our Meatless Monday vegan recipe share series. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
With the World Cup finals happening this week, it may not seem possible that satisfying, vegan game-time foods can be had but we’ve featured great recipes like Fresh Veggie Summer Rolls with Spicy Garlic Peanut Sauce and a Vegan Eggplant Crunchburger that would be perfect for the matches. Today we are adding another with this delicious recipe for Buffalo Tofu Fries that is also quick and easy to make. This great recipe is, once again, from our favourite vegan resource One Green Planet.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2-4)
- 1 package of tofu, frozen, thawed, drained & pressed
- 1/3 cup hot sauce
- 4 Tbs. light Vegan butter, melted
- 1 Tbs. agave nectar
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbs. onion powder
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 Tbs. safflower oil
- Cut the tofu into shapes that resemble French fries. In a large resealable storage bag or in a shallow bowl, add the flour and the spices. Add the tofu fries to the bag or bowl and toss them around gently until the tofu is covered in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Shake off the excess flour from the tofu fries and cook them in batches in the pan until they are browned and crispy. This might take about 4-5 minutes per side. The 2nd batch will cook faster since the pan and the oil will be hotter.
- While the tofu fries are cooking, combine the hot sauce, Vegan butter and agave in a large bowl and whisk.
- When the tofu fries are cooked, transfer them to the hot sauce mixture and toss to coat.
- Serve with celery and carrot sticks and the dipping sauce of your choice. We made a Vegan “ranch” dressing by combining mayo, sour cream, dill, and pickle relish.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including PCI compliant inbound telephone fundraising, outbound telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery fundraising services, donation processing and receipting and direct mail fundraising services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all our business decisions and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.