Meatless Monday with Vegan Crispy Cajun Chickpea Cakes
Hello and welcome (back) to another flavour-packed vegan Meatless Monday recipe share. Miratel supports Meatless Monday as it encourages eliminating meat from your diet one day per week to preserve the health of our planet (and ourselves!). We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
Just because you’re eating a vegan meal doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavour or spice and today’s Vegan Crispy Cajun Chickpea Cakes is a perfect example of this. This recipe is easy to make and combines simple ingredients for a satisfying and delicious (and gluten-free) dish that is sure to please vegans and omni’s alike. Our thanks to the Vegan Dad blog for this great recipe.
Crispy Cajun Chickpea Cakes Ingredients (makes 12 burgers):
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 28 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp flour (use gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Saute onion, green pepper, and celery for 5-7 mins, until softened. Remove from heat.
- Place chickpeas in a food processor along with the onion mixture. Pulse until chickpeas are no longer whole, but dont process them too much. Place chickpeas in a bowl and add spices, hot sauce, and parsley. Mix well. Add flour and cornstarch and mix well. Place in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over med/med-hi heat (around 350 degrees). Shape chickpea mixture into 12 patties and fry in batches, about 2-3 mins per side, or until crispy and browned. Flip a few times if they are browning too quickly. If you have trouble forming the patties, add some more cornstarch to hold it all together.
Feel free to play with the cayenne or hot pepper sauce if you prefer things a little spicier. Serve with a green salad and hot whole grain side dish.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.