Meatless Monday with Vegan Matzo Ball Soup
Hello and welcome (back) for another installment of our vegan recipe share in honour of Meatless Monday. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge as it encourages eliminating meat from your diet one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
It might seem daunting to make a meat-free meal but our weekly recipes help make it easier. With cooler weather upon us, nothing is more warming than a comforting bowl of soup and that is exactly what today’s Matzo Ball Soup is. This satisfying soup is a vegan version of the traditional soup made with chicken broth and eggs and comes from Hell Yeah It’s Vegan – an amazing resource for vegan recipes. If you haven’t already, check it out.
Vegan Matzo Ball Soup (yields 6-8 servings):
- 12.5 oz firm silken tofu
Image courtesy of Hell Yeah It's Vegan
- ¼ c plus 2 Tbsp olive oil, separated
- 1 c matzoh meal
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp onion
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into half-circles
- 2 celery stalks, chopped into half-moons
- 1 handful fresh dill, chopped
- 6 c vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, blend together tofu and ¼ cup oil.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and stir in matzo meal, nutritional yeast, salt, baking powder, onion, pepper, garlic, and celery seed.
- Place dough in an air-tight container and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large pot, saute onion, carrot, and celery in 2 Tbsp olive oil until soft.
- Add dill and stock and set aside.
- Using your hands or a cookie scoop, form mixture into 2″ balls.
- Drop balls into broth.
- Bring broth to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.