Meatless Monday with Vegan Southern Indian Vegetable Curry with Curry Leaves
Welcome (back) to the Miratel blog and thank you for joining us for another Meatless Monday recipe share. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week to preserve the health of our planet. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it spreads awareness of the impact of our food choices on our environment.
Preparing a meat-free meal can be daunting if it’s not something you normally do but that’s why we’re here. Every Monday we share a new meatless recipe to help take the guesswork out of meal planning. Tonight we’re enjoying a flavourful and exotic southern Indian vegetable curry with curry leaves. This amazing meal comes by way of world-renowned celebrity chef Jamie Oliver. Let’s get cooking.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 fresh green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 bunch curry leaves
- 2 onions, peeled and shredded
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch ground cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 aubergine, cubed
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 1 handful French beans
- 1 handful peas
- 1 handful okra, sliced
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the mustard seeds for 2 to 3 minutes or until they start to pop.
- Add the chillies, curry leaves, onions, coriander, cumin seeds, garam masala, turmeric, and chilli powder. Stir and cook over a medium heat until the onion is soft. Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add your potatoes and aubergine to the sauce. Pour in the coconut milk and cook until the potato is soft and cooked through. Throw in the beans, peas and okra. Season and cook for a few more minutes until tender.
Complete this meal with some basmati or brown rice to add fibre to this dish. Remember that anytime you add fibre, you’re going to be fuller longer, which means you won’t be hungry later. You can also serve alongside some warmed naan bread.
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.