10 Most Trustworthy Celebrities from Forbes and the Charities They Support
Celebrities lending their brand to organizations they support is not a new concept as their name and image comes with a trust-factor that can be beneficial to everyone involved. I’ve explored the relationship of celebrities and charitable causes using current groupings like TIFF 2012 attendees (Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3) as well as using various Forbes lists like the 10 Top Power Celebrities, the 10 Highest Paid Celebrities Under 30 List, 10 Top Celebrity Charitable Contributions Based on Publicity Value, the 10 Highest Paid Actors and 5 of the Highest Paid Celebrity Couples.
Today, we’re looking at another Forbes list of the most trustworthy celebrities which makes them perfect candidates for endorsements and I will be highlighting some of the causes they support. I am relying on Look to the Star and other sources for my research.
Tom Hanks at the TIFF 2012
- 9) Tom Hanks – Trustworthy Score: 103. Hanks’ career has spanned over thirty years, winning him two Oscars and included highlights like The Da Vinci Code and the Toy Story franchise. He has also supported a number of charities including Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, BID 2 BEAT AIDS, Elevate Hope Foundation, Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, Healthy Child Healthy World, Hole in the Wall Gang, K9 Connection, Lifeline Energy, Madison Foundation, National Space Society, ONE Campaign, Parkinson Society Maritime Region, Pearl Harbor Memorial Fund, Red Cross, Surfrider Foundation and UNICEF.
- 9) Mike Rowe - Trustworthy Score: 103. Best know for hosting the show Dirty Jobs, as well as for his commercial endorsements and he supports the Entertainment Industry Foundation.
- 7) James Earl Jones – Trustworthy Score: 104. Jones is a Hollywood icon, Broadway veteran and the voice of Darth Vader. Jones has supported African Caribbean Leukaemia Trust, BID 2 BEAT AIDS, Luke Neuhedel Foundation, Make-A-Wish Foundation, MedicAlert Foundation and To Write Love on Her Arms.
- 7) Betty White – Trustworthy Score: 104. The Golden Girl has had a career resurgence over the last few years with the hit Hot in Cleveland and her prank show Off Their Rockers. She is known for her love of animals and has championed causes like American Humane Association, Morris Animal Foundation, PAWS/LA, spcaLA and St. Francis Food Pantries and Shelters.
- 6) Sandra Bullock – Trustworthy Score: 105. America’s Sweetheart, who won her first Oscar in 2009 for The Blind Side, has supported Partners in Health, Red Cross and Tuesday’s Children over the years.
- 5) Michael J Fox – Trustworthy Score: 107. The Back to the Future star was first on this list last year. He is a Parkinson’s sufferer and will be returning to television in a new NBC comedy about a father with Parkinson’s. Fox has raised millions for Parkinson’s research through the Michael J. Fox Foundation and also supports Kids Wish Network, Muhammad Ali Center, Screen Actors Guild Foundation and The Hollywood Cookbook.
- 3) Tony Dungy – Trustworthy Score: 108. The retired football coach was the first African-American coach to win the Super Bowl. He has supported “All Pro Dad [which] is the fatherhood program of Family First, a national nonprofit organization based in Tampa, Florida. All Pro Dad features 60+ NFL players, coaches, and alumni who speak out on the importance of being a good father.”
- 3) Mike Holmes – Trustworthy Score: 108. The Canadian contractor who’s “Make it right” motto has endeared him to views all over North America supports a number of charities like SOS Children’s Villages and even worked with Brad Pitt and Make it Right Nola to help rebuild New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Also, “on April 26, 2006, Mike launched The Holmes Foundation, a charitable Canadian foundation to support the training of youth in the skilled trades through apprenticeships, scholarships and bursaries.”
- 2) Ron Howard – Trustworthy Score: 109. The former child star turned director turned Emmy Award-winning, executive producer of the critically acclaimed series Arrested Development has earned the moniker of being the “nicest man in Hollywood.” Over the years he has supported Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Bring Change 2 Mind and The Hollywood Cookbook.
- 1) Morgan Freeman – Trustworthy score: 112. This Hollywood veteran has starred in legendary films like Driving Miss Daisy and The Shawshank Redemptionhas even lent his voice to The March of the Penguins. He has supported 21st Century Leaders, Artists for a New South Africa, CAMFED, Declare Yourself, The Global Fund, Grenada Relief Fund, Mississippi Animal Rescue League, National Parks Conservation Association, Oceana, Plan!t Now, Red Cross, Stand Up To Cancer and Whatever It Takes.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.