5 Best Companies for Overall Impact from The B Corp Best for the WorldCSR, CSR Business, CSR Canada, Green, News | Elyse | June 21, 2013 at 12:01 am
Demonstrating CSR business ethics and setting higher standards for conducting business is something that is becoming increasingly important. Beyond its positive contribution to the greater good, consumers are making more informed decisions now to support companies that share their sustainable values. These values are also important to Miratel and I regularly write about companies that embody these ideals in posts like the 50 Best Corporate Citizens in Canada 2012, the 30 Top Green Organizations in Canada According to Employee Engagement, the 55 Greenest Canadian Employers, the 50 Top Diversity Employers in Canada, the Top 50 Canadian CSR Business List, Canada’s Top Employers for 2013, the top 10 Canadian boards according to gender representation, the Top Canadian Boards According to Visible Minority and Aboriginal Representation, the 10 Top Sustainable Companies from the 2013 Global 100 List, the 2013 100 best corporate citizens list, the 12 top countries represented in the Global 100: World Leaders in Clean Capitalism and most recently the 10 Green Business Leaders from Canada’s Greenest Employers for 2013. Today I’m pleased to feature the best businesses for overall impact from The B Corp Best for the World List.
“B Lab is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that serves a global movement of entrepreneurs using the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. B Lab serves these entrepreneurs through three interrelated initiatives that provide them the legal infrastructure and help them attract the customers, talent, and capital to scale.” One of those initiatives is Certified B Corporations. B Corps are certified by B Lab “to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.”
B Lab created The B Corp Best for the World List to honour and recognize the companies that scored in the “top 10% of all B Corps for overall social and environmental impact.” The list is broken into three categories: medium sized (50+ employees), small (10-49 employees) and micro-enterprises (1-9 employees) and the top 5 companies for overall impact from each size category are:
Top 5 medium-sized businesses:
- Echale – Location: Mexico City, Mexico. Industry: Construction. Overall B Score: 167
- CO2 Bambu – Location: Granada, Nicaragua. Industry: Construction. Overall B Score: 161
- Give Something Back Office Supplies – Location: California, United States. Industry: Consumer Products & Services. Overall B Score: 158
- CHCA – Location: New York, United States. Industry: Health Care Services. Overall B Score: 155
- Sunrise Banks – Location: Minnesota, United States. Industry: Financial Services. Overall B Score: 154
Top 5 small-sized businesses
- Impact Makers – Location: Virginia, United States. Industry: Services. Overall B Score: 156
- Hybrytec Energia Solar – Location: Antioquia, Colombia. Industry: Professional & Technical Services. Overall B Score: 150
- Highland Craftsmen Inc – Location: North Carolina, United States. Industry: Manufactured Goods. Overall B Score: 147
- Trillium Asset Management, LLC – Location: Massachusetts, United States. Industry: Financial Services. Overall B Score: 147
- Re:Vision – Location: Pennsylvania, United States. Industry: Architecture, Design & Planning. Overall B Score: 141
Top 5 micro-enterprises:
- One Earth Designs – Location: Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong. Industry: Machinery & Equipment. Overall B Score: 165
- The Paradigm Project – Location: Colorado, United States. Industry: Consumer Products & Services. Overall B Score: 165
- New Avenue – Location: California, United States. Industry: Building. Overall B Score: 159
- Emerge Financial Wellness – Location: California, United States. Industry: Financial Services. Overall B Score: 157
- Piedmont Biofuels – Location: North Carolina, United States. Industry: Energy & Environmental Services. Overall B Score: 156
“Today, there is a growing community of more than 600 Certified B Corps from 15 countries and 60 industries working together toward 1 unifying goal: to redefine success in business.” Congrats to all of the businesses that made The B Corp Best for the World List - quite an impressive list.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.