Meatless Monday with (Vegan) Lentil and Mushroom Bourguignon
Hello and welcome (back) for our latest Meatless Monday recipe share. Miratel took the Meatless Monday pledge to support reducing meat consumption 15% by eliminating it one day per week for planetary health. We consider our support of this great movement part of our CSR business strategies as it stresses the importance that our food choices have on our environment. We present a new vegan or vegetarian recipe each week to help make going meat-free easier.
Giving up meat doesn’t mean that you have to give up on flavour. In fact this week’s recipe for Lentil and Mushroom Bourguignon is a twist on classic beef bourguignon that is so delicious and hearty no one will miss the meat. This comforting gourmet recipe comes courtesy of Treehugger.
Lentil and Mushroom Bourguignon Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter (or olive oil for vegan version)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 to 3 cups button, brown or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked brown lentils
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 to 2 cups pearl onions, peeled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat a drizzle of oil and saute the onion for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft. Add the butter, garlic, thyme and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms release their liquid, soften and then start to brown. Add another drizzle of oil if the pan seems too dry.
- Add the lentils and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, then add the wine and cook for a few minutes more, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the skillet, until the wine has almost cooked off. Sprinkle the flour over the lentil and mushroom mixture and stir to blend, then add the stock and tomato paste.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and dark and the mushrooms are tender. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more stock.
- Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a small skillet and cook the pearl onions over medium-high heat until golden and soft; add to the mushroom mixture. Serve hot, over buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
This dish is a perfect go to if your having company over and want to have a vegan/vegetarian option and leftovers are even better the next day. You can serve with a side of the hot vegetable of your choice (carrots or asparagus would go nice).
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit the Meatless Monday website and join us in taking the pledge today. Spread the word at home and at work and promote CSR business initiatives to make your green call centre, office, factory, shop, restaurant or salon even greener.
For nonprofit, nonprofit fundraising, CSR business and other news, connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Pinterest or subscribe to our RSS feed.
Miratel Solutions is a Toronto call centre, eBusiness, and letter shop mail house specializing in professional fundraising services including telephone fundraising, online fundraising, lottery services, donation caging, donation processing and other donor management services. We are committed to our CSR business values in all contact centre services and mail house operations and advancing the missions of the nonprofits we proudly serve.